Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Artist Statement

As a kid, I was drawn to the 90's action movies.  The Die Hards and Terminators are still favorites.  As I got older it became crime movies and film noir.  Some of the lasting influences on me have been from Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen, and Quentin Tarantino.  When I was younger, it never occurred to me that filmmaking could be a career.  I was unaware of the many positions it took to make a film.  What appeals to me the most is having an idea and creating rich characters.  Putting them in a fictional world, giving them obstacles, and seeing how they react.  It is fascinating to have your idea be brought to life by wonderful actors.  I enjoy exploring the consequences of a murder, the allure of money, the dark personality of a protagonist, and the ulterior motives of a heroine.  My plans include being apart of a group or community of artists and filmmakers who I could learn from and earn my degree in film production.  As a film major, I hope to make a few short films.  In five years or so, I will write and direct a feature.  Down the road I do want to work within the Hollywood studio system which would allow for a bigger budget and be a huge challenge.  Many people have fears.  They may include a fear of dying, fear of heights, or a fear of public speaking.  Mine would be dying and not leaving behind important timeless movies that would always be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment